What does English as an additional language (EAL) mean at Treviglas?
Here at Treviglas we believe that every EAL student brings a unique perspective and cultural contribution to our college.
EAL students are defined as those students who are:
- Born in Britain but who does not start learning English until he/she starts school
- Brought up as bilingual and fluent in English and the mother tongue. Some may be bi-literate
- New arrival to this country but is bi-literate with some years of learning English as a foreign language
- New arrival, with little knowledge of English, but literate in the mother tongue
- New arrival who have no previous experience in English and/or with very basic literacy skills in the mother tongue
- Either do not have English as their first language or who have been living abroad for a duration of more than six months.
These students and their families are offered a wide range of support throughout their time at Treviglas in order to enable them to achieve their potential.
To ensure that EAL students and families enjoy a smooth induction process, that all EAL students are able to access the curriculum and to celebrate and promote the diversity of our student body.
In the classroom we aim to:
- Ensure all staff are aware of EAL students’ needs and challenges through the EAL passport and information on the record of need.
- Effectively monitor performance of EAL students across the college.
- Mentor EAL students with the intention of raising self-confidence and achievement.
- Personalize the learning experience to ensure stage not age entry into formal exams.
- Develop the literacy of EAL students across College through use of new technology, specialist support and resources and additional English teaching.
- Ensure, where possible, that EAL students gain formal accreditation in their first language, at GCSE or A Level.
Outside the classroom we aim to:
- Ensure a smooth and comprehensive induction into the college for EAL students and families.
- Ensure, where possible, that information is available in parent’s first language.
- Meet with all EAL students and parents at the start of the academic year and keep parents informed of progress.
- Raise the profile of EAL within the college
The progress of EAL students is closely monitored to ensure they meet their full potential. Group mentoring is scheduled during the year. Parents are informed of any concerns or developments.
Context at Treviglas
Treviglas has around 33 EAL students, roughly 3.3% of the student body. This is lower than the national average of 12.3% but higher than the Cornish average of 1.3%. Over 21 different languages are spoken by Treviglas students including:
Treviglas Contact Details:
Treviglas Community College,
Bradley Road, Newquay,
Cornwall, TR7 3JA
EAL Assessment Framework for Schools – all students who speak English as an additional language will be assessed three time a year for their proficiency in English. This is conducted by the English faculty and informed by tutors and teachers of each student. This document gives detail about each of the different categories of proficiency, ranging from A (beginner) to E (fluent).
Supporting Parents of Bilingual Children with Reading Together in English – this document explains, in many different languages, how you can help support your child’s reading.
EMTAS Secondary Phase iPad Apps to support EAL learners – this document shows all the apps that can help support your child’s English.
Where can you find out more?
- www.linguascope.com – Support for English language
- www.digitaldialects.com – Online games to learn a language
- en.childrenslibrary.org – Children’s books in different languages
Pomoc dla osób mówiących po polsku
English as an Additional Language – translated materials
Treviglas has a number of support systems for students, parents and carers who have English as an additional language. These include regular meetings with the Head of Foreign Languages and team members within the Effective Learning Centre. The college also uses a wide range of translated materials including those below: