Information for Parents
At the college we follow a framework of procedures and protocols in the event of emergencies. These include emergency evacuation procedures, for example, in the event of a fire or receipt of a bomb threat. In the interest of safeguarding, we do not publicise these procedures. However, all staff are informed and aware and these protocols are tested. If any parent/carer wishes to discuss these protocols in more detail, please contact the Headteacher.
In the event that the college has to close due to an emergency (such as severe weather) the following procedures will apply:
- The college will put information regarding the closure on to the college website as soon as possible. This information will be up-dated at regular intervals throughout the period of closure. Where possible communication via e-mail will also be used.
- Up to date information will be broadcast on the following local radio stations: BBC Radio Cornwall, Pirate FM, Atlantic FM
- Students will not be sent home to an empty house unless previously agreed. Parental permission to allow a student to return home or to go home with a friend or neighbour must be gained before a student leaves the college premises.
- Students will be allowed to use mobile phones to contact parents/carers to make necessary arrangements
- Students who travel by bus or taxi will be sent home as transport becomes available
- Students who walk home will be authorised to do so where parental permission has been gained
- A member of staff will wait at the college until all students have been collected
- In the event that the college is closed before the start of the college day a member of staff will be present to meet students who were not aware of the college closure. Necessary arrangements will then be made to enable these children to return home safely.
The well being of our students is paramount. Our priority will be to ensure that all students are kept safe and any decision taken will reflect this.