Special Educational Needs Disability Information Advice & Support Service

From the 1st September 2014 Parent Partnership Services (PPS) in every local authority evolved into Information, Advice and Support (IAS) Services. Each IAS Service provides support similar to that of a PPS, although the type of support, and who is entitled to receive it, has been significantly expanded.

Cornwall’s SENDIASS is a statutory service delivered by Disability Cornwall provides information, advice and support to disabled children and young people, and those with SEN, and their parents. The service is impartial, accessible and free and all IAS staff are independently trained.

SENDIASS operates within the obligations and expectations of chapter 2 of the SEND Code of Practice and IASSN Quality Standards and provides:

  • IAS on subjects including local policy and practice, the Local Offer, personalisation, Personal Budgets, the law on SEN and disability, health and social care
  • IAS through the EHC assessment and planning process
  • a phone helpline
  • confidential and impartial IAS to young people (16+) on their own, if requested.
  • individual casework and representation
  • support in preparing for and attending meetings
  • help in filling in forms and writing letters/reports
  • support in resolving disagreements, including mediation and tribunals
  • signposting to other local or national sources of advice, information and support
  • links to local parent support groups and forums

Telephone: 01736 751921

The Children and Families Act 2014 changes the way that children with special educational
needs and disabilities receive support.
Over three years as from 1st September 2014, Statements of Special Educational Need will
be transferred to Education, Health and Care Plans (EHC plans).
An EHC plan brings a child or young person’s education health and social care needs into a
single, legal document.
Parent Carer Council Cornwall and Disability Cornwall have been awarded the contract to
deliver the Independent Support Service.

What will Independent Supporters do?

Independent Supporters will act as a named contact person throughout the EHC assessment and planning process and offer a range of time-limited support to help parents and young people:

  • understand the local referral process and Local Offer
  • transfer a Statement of SEN or Learning Difficulty Assessment (LDA) to an EHC plan
    (transfer reviews)
  • support with putting together All About Me and My Family (0 years to year 2), All About Me (year 3 – year 8) or My Hopes Dreams and Aspirations (year 9 – age 25)
  • liaise across a range of local services to help gather the information required for an EHC plan
  • work with parents and young people who are new to EHC referrals or had a LDA under the old system
  • provide information about personal budgets
  • signpost to Information Advice and Support Services (IASS) when the issue is outside the remit of an Independent Supporter

Contact Independent Support via Cornwall Special Educational Needs Disability Information Advice & Support Service (SENDIASS) see above, formally Parent Partnership Service.